Picture it. It's hot and there's no relief in sight. You need a reprieve except it's a 45 minute drive to a beach, plus the hassle of traffic and parking, and forget it if you have young kids - by the time you get there they'll be tired and cranky and need a nap so you'll have to leave. You know the drill.
Today is the first official day of summer, and there is a better way cool off - in your own backyard. The Arlington Reservoir (the Res, as it's known locally) was named one of the top 10 swimming holes in the state. The Res includes a filtered/chlorinated swimming area, bathhouse, vending machines and playground. The beach is supervised by certified lifeguards and other beach staff.
Above and beyond the amenities listed above, here are an additional top 10 reasons to go to the Res this summer:
· Residents and non-residents are welcome.
· Parking is free, and while you do have to pay (on weekends it's $7 for residents, $10 for non-residents), it's still cheaper than paying for parking at most beaches.
· There's almost always parking, and you don't have to lug your stuff ¼ mile to get near the water.
· There are trees that provide shade on the 'beach.' So you and your family won't cook in the sun all day.
· You can call iChef and have a pizza delivered for dinner (so worth it).
· You can go for the morning, leave so the kids can take naps, and come back in the evening (your pass will be valid).
· The ice-cream man comes by regularly.
· There is a fountain for the kids to splash in.
· There's plenty to do - in addition to the beach and the playground, there's a volleyball net, beach toys for the kids, or you can take a stroll on the path around the entire Res.
· You almost always run into someone you know.